Monday, May 22, 2006

Commuters Unfazed By Gas Prices

Using weeks-old news about America's longest commutes as a pretense, Danny Westneat actually makes an insightful point about our attitudes toward gasoline .

These commuters may sound extreme. But it's only a matter of degree. The truth is rising gas prices haven't led to any drop-off in driving, by you, me or almost anyone. The feds just reported America is using more gas this year than last.

Why? Because except for the poorest among us, gas isn't that expensive. Regardless of pandering politicians saying it is.

Some say nothing will change until gas hits $4 a gallon, and stays there. Or $6.

I don't know. I do know if a stylist is happily driving 820 miles a week to cut hair, our gas crisis isn't registering as one.
I would have to agree. Although people may whine and complain about gas prices, they show by their (lack of) actions that it really isn't all that big of a deal to them. Personally, I've been fed up with gasoline since before prices even started with a 2. $3 per gallon gas hasn't changed my opinion—I still hate gasoline, and am doing my best to work toward eliminating it from my lifestyle.

Actually it's not entirely true that people's actions have not been affected by this. They're buying locking gas caps, remember? Don't we all just feel so much better now?

(Danny Westneat, Seattle Times, 05.14.2006)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may be nitpicking, but the correct word would be "unfazed". We thank you for your cooperation.

The Tim said...

How embarassing.

Fixed.

Thank you.