Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Safer Seattle Confounds Portland Experts

I guess it's funny week on Seattle Traffic, because here comes another story that amused me. It turns out that Seattle drivers get in fewer auto accidents than our southernly neighbor Portland—and apparently that little fact keeps some Portlanders awake at night.

Sometimes a statistic jumps out and says: Analyze this.

Here's one: Portland drivers are 13 percent more likely to crash their cars than drivers in Seattle.
...
According to Progressive, more than 26,000 car crashes will occur in the Portland metropolitan area this year. That's about 70 a day. And Portland drivers are actually safer than most — 3 percent less likely to be involved in an accident than the national average driver, according to the same report.

Idaho drivers are even better — 18 percent less accident-prone than the national average, based on accidents per capita. And Nevada drivers are 13 percent less accident-prone.

But the one statistic that doesn't make sense, or at least begs for explanation, is the comparison between Portland and Seattle drivers.

A couple of quick possibilities: The smart people here are all riding bikes and taking mass transit, leaving the rest of the drivers in their cars at the mercy of, well, one another. And Seattle's infamous traffic patterns could be a factor. But on the other hand, if you're in gridlock, you're not likely to hit anybody.
That's rich. All the smart people are riding bikes... I mean, I ride a bike, so that's certainly a flattering suggestion, but really, how ridiculous can you get? I grew up in Vancouver (just across the river from Portland) and I can tell you anecdotally that Portland drivers just plain stink. Whenever I was driving around town and I saw someone pull a crazy/idiotic driving stunt, I checked the license plate. I'd say at least 80% of the time those plates would be from Oregon. I constantly found myself wondering just how lax the driver's license requirements are in Oregon. I mean, Seattle residents aren't exactly paragons of safe and responsible driving, but they're definitely noticably better than Portland drivers.
[Dick] Walker [manager of Metro's transportation research and modeling services], a guy who knows his way around a spreadsheet, cautioned not to put too much faith in the Progressive statistics. They may only tell half of a story, he said.

For instance, he posed, maybe people here don't crash more often. "Maybe we report our accidents more frequently than they do in Seattle," he said. "We just may make more claims. It doesn't mean more accidents, necessarily."
There's a phrase that describes this article pretty well... hang on, it'll come to me... oh yes: grasping at straws.

(Peter Korn, Portland Tribune, 05.09.2006)

5 comments:

thehim said...

People from Seattle calling people from Portland bad drivers is like Moe calling Curly an idiot.

The skill level of drivers throughout the Pacific Northwest is a serious problem. Ask anyone who's moved here from another region. They'll tell you how shocked they were at how poor the drivers are. No one knows anything about road etiquette (as biliruben pointed out), and no one has any ability to use common sense in relation to the people around them.

thehim said...

And another thing. Back when I moved here in the mid-90s, I was so stunned by the amount of bad driving here that I did some research on crash statistics. In 1994 (I think) there were roughly the same number of car accidents in Pennsylvania as there were in Washington, even though Pennsylvania has 2.5 times as many residents. The major difference was that insurance rates in PA are so high (it was $2000/6 months for me in 1995) that many people didn't report their accidents for fear that their insurance would go up.

Vanitay Prabakash said...

I moved out from New York about 18 months ago. The thing I'm most struck by (besides the aforementioned "rolling roadblocks" in the left lanes) is the shocking level of left-turn incompetence. People here have no understanding of how to get out into the intersection. They actually wait all the way back until it is COMPLETELY CLEAR!

thehim said...

Nick,
Theher is a Seattle native and she does that, and it's unfuriating.

Also, I see a lot of people who come to a complete stop at a flashing yellow (which I believe was a question on the test to get my learner's permit in PA). But the all-time classic move was when I saw a woman make a right turn out of the Northgate mall, look up and see the red light from the other direction (the light is set back about 10 yards) and stop. I was behind her, politely honked my horn and she started screaming at me as I pulled up next to her at the next light. Some woman then got out a taxicab nearby and started screaming at her. Classic.

Anonymous said...

I live in Portland and came here from Los Angeles. First I marveled on how polite everyone here is in their car-nobody honks hardly. If someone is pulling some stupid driving maneuver everyone else just waits for them to finish. That's a problem. In LA you had people pulling all sorts of stunts on the road but there's ALWAYS 3-4 people right away there hard on the horns to let you know you're not driving very well. That doesn't exist in Portland. I go back to LA on occasion and marvel now at the superior driving ability of just about everybody. Every person of driving age in Oregon needs a Driver's Training course. People can't park, negotiate busy intersections, and don't get me started on the TAILGATING! Seems like everyone rides up on everyone's ass here in Portland. The driver's training course in California states that you need at LEAST one car length for every 10 miles an hour your going. Not ten feet no matter how fast you're going. Also, talking to locals they always complain that people are going too slow here. I drove in LA for 20 years, drive 5 miles an hour over all posted speed limits everywhere here and I still have people passing me like I'm parked. I've seen more accidents here in Portland in 1 year than in 10 years in LA-easily! I listen to talk radio here too and every morning there seems to be some type of wacky accident on a freeway where somebody died and there's no drugs or alcohol to blame-just driver error! People can't drive in Portland but Washington is worse! Somebody pulls some big time idiot move and almost always they've got Washington plates.