Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Locking Gas Caps = Warm Fuzzies

For some reason I was rather amused by the story today about the increased sales of locking gas caps.

With gas prices hovering at more than $3 a gallon, some motorists are worried that a thief armed with no more than a gas can and a length of hose could suck pricey fuel right out of the tank.

Although there's no real way to measure whether gas siphoning is increasing with the rising prices at the pump -- police say they don't track it -- some Seattle-area stores are selling more locking gas caps than they typically do. And some business owners say their fleets are losing fuel to petrol poachers.
...
Kimo Corpuz, a manager with Action Auto Parts on Aurora Avenue North, said none of his customers has complained of being targeted by gas thieves. At least not yet. "People are buying the locking gas caps just for deterrence," he said.
So, it's not that theft of gasoline is actually on the rise (there's no proof that it is), it's that people are just becoming more paranoid about their precious fuel being stolen. Here's why that is funny to me. Number one, a locking gas cap won't really stop someone that is determined to steal your gas:
But locking caps won't stop a determined gas thief, Smith said.

Mathews agreed. When her company tried locking gas caps, the thieves responded by cutting gas lines, which required a much more costly repair job.
But more importantly I am amused that people's reaction to rising gas prices is to try to protect their gas, not to try to cut down on their use of it. Someone actually wanting to steal your gas is a pretty statistically unlikely thing, and it's going to cost you what, $20-$30? So you spend $15 on a locking gas cap to save you $30. Good move. How about instead try carpooling once a week—or get some exercise and ride a bicycle to work? Over time you would definitely save a lot more than $15.

Again it comes back to convenience. It's much easier to drop $15 on a locking gas cap and get the warm fuzzy that your valuable fuel is now safe than it is to actually use less of said fuel.

(Hector Castro, Seattle P-I, 05.09.2006 )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"People are buying the locking gas caps just for deterrence,"

That quote says it all. Of course it will not stop a determined thief, but that thief will quickly move onto the next vehicle in the parking lot instead of fussing with a locked cap. The club, master locks, locking doors, locked windows are all just "deterrents". :)

I'd be much more worried about the body damage a thief might do in forcing the outer gas door open than the actual cost of the gas.

The Tim said...

As I said, what I find most amusing is people's instinct to protect their valuable fuel (even though there's no real indication that it is more at risk of being stolen), rather than find ways to use less of it. I understand the concept of deterrent—otherwise I wouldn't have locks on my front door. :^)

Unknown said...

well in my town stealing fuel is on the rise. It must be a neighbor as I park in a well lighted area (private home). I put a locking gas cap on but they know how to get it open. I always keep turning until I hear 3 clicks, after they steal the gas the cap it barely on... I am at a loss on what to do but after reading your posts it seems that you must just sit back and let them get by with it! I think I will get a bee bee gun and "shoot their eyes out".. just kidding.